Monday 22 February 2010

The Importance Of Being Idle...

Been a manic few days for us. Firstly we had half term, which automatically means I'm tired. Dealing with lots of little bastard kids all day is hard work!
Then I had to give up my day off because we got word through that one of the directors of the company was coming up to see us, see how the shop runs. Their words not mine!

Howard and I finally recorded the podcast. It was relatively painless for me, mostly because Howard is a clever, clever man and knows how garageband works. At least I think that is what it is called? I went with a compilation story about telling stories, which you may have read a version of further down this page, and a couple of stories featuring one of my favourite people in the world, Kerry. I rambled a bit, but hopefully people will find it charming rather than annoying. Howard is much better at this stuff than me, all those years of stand up and performing have given him a perfect radio voice! His recording went really well too, enjoyed his story of dying on his arse at a stand up gig.
So then it was technical stuff time, we found some free music online, edited it into a funky theme tune and voila. Howard submitted it to itunes and 2 hours later we were approved. We finally went live on itunes on Sunday evening, so far the feedback has been mostly positive, but it has also so far been family and friends. So we will see!
Howard again surprised me by setting us up a website, designing some logo's and getting us an email address for the show. Feeling like something of a slacker...luckily I came up with the name. 'Aurally Fixated' it became, and to make up for not knowing how to do any of those other complicated Mac based things, I hit Facebook hard, plugging the show left, right and centre, creating us a group/fanpage type thing and inviting what seems like the entire population of York to join us. Going well so far.

What else? Well, think I'm in the process of setting up a Theatre Company with Helen, my assistant manager at work. We want to make contemporary adaptations of interesting things into plays for grown ups. All the theatre in York seems to be youth groups or shakespeare based. We want to make a stage version of Chasing Amy, although having rewatched most of it, it might be a touch too rude for the good people of York. Clerks it is! I tweeted (yes I know that makes me a twat) Richard Kelly, writer/director of Donnie Darko to ask his opinion on a stage version of Donnie Darko, only to be told it had been done already. Denied! But that does save us a job, means there is a script already out there...
Turns out I might have to play Silent Bob, well I'm fat but not too fat to fly! Just for Kevin Smith fans that one. No, in all seriousness, I think my role will be non stage based, I'm no theatre director, and I'm certainly not an actor. I think I will be the ideas man, and in charge of finding the funding and support for the group. Oh, and I think I will have some wanky title like Ideas Consultant!
If you made it this far, why not go to itunes and download our podcast, Aurally Fixated? Or you can go to our website aurallyfixated.podbean.com and email us on aurallyfixated@live.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment