Wednesday 11 February 2009

Camp Part 1

So I figure this blog is to be a flashback one. I had a big rant yesterday, today I feel like writing something a little more positive.

In the summer of 2001 I, along with an old schoolfriend, went to Camp. We flew to New York from Manchester, spent the weekend in New York and then took the Greyhound to Philadelphia. At the bus station we were to be collected by a representative of the camp. Well, Bobby and I stood at the entrance to that bus station for a good 3 or 4 hours. It was about 100 degrees in the midday sun, so we tried to spend as little time in it as possible. We spotted a group of girls who all had big bags like ours, also hanging around the entrance. They however were not avoiding the ridiculous temperatures. As we were to discover, they were Scottish, and there is one thing I know about Scottish women, they like a tan!
We got chatting to them a little, they were also waiting to be picked up, just like us. I forget all of their names but I remember Lucy and Katie were there, who I was to spend the summer with.
Eventually, a car and a van turned up, bearing the logo of our camp Julian Krinsky Summer Camps. The logo, as I recall thinking, looked like a bastardised version of the AIDS awareness ribbon.
So, into the van we get, having met Tim and Trish, the head counsellors. And so began our summer…

More stories from camp will come, but needless to say, this was the start of both the most exhausting, and also the most enjoyable of summers.I made some great friends there, many of whom I am still in contact with, at least one of whom will be reading this.

1 comment:

  1. Ack, I just now read this. I'm sorry it took me so long! I have no excuse. I never thought about it but that logo did totally look like a rip off on an AIDS ribbon....

    Please to be posting more camp stories. I would thoroughly enjoy!

    ReplyDelete