Sunday 1 September 2013

The Way Way Back



When the summer movie season comes around, it is usually the blockbusters people get excited abvout, this year it was Iron Man 3, Star Trek 2, The Wolverine and a fair few others.  Not in my house.  The second I saw the trailer for ‘The Way Way Back’ I knew it was my kind of film.  I knew I would like it, but I hoped I would love it.
 
Marketed like ‘Little Miss Sunshine’ and written/directed by Oscar winning duo Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, ‘The Way Way Back’ is the kind of film that rarely gets made anymore.  I haven’t see na really good coming of age movie since ‘The Wackness’.  This looked like it could be the next.
Toni Collette (playing her usual archetype) and Steve Carell (nicely against expectations as an arrogant bully) reunite to play mother and her boyfriend to Duncan (Liam James), on a trip to an unspecified coastal resort for the summer.  The kind of place that only exists in American movies, people have a beach house, no one locks their doors and there is no threat from crime of any kind. Into this we meet Duncan, a quiet, angry 14 year old who clearly has no interest in being there.  As AnnaSophia Robb’s girl next door Susanna says ‘It’s like spring break for adults’ as the parent figures disappear to drink and do whatever.  Duncan spends his days avoiding people by cycling around the town, until he discovers Water Wizz, a water park and wanders in.  He is befriended by park manager Owen (Sam Rockwell) and his crew of misfits.  To tell you more would rob you of a touching, sweet set of relationships to discover.

Liam James (young Shawn in Psych) is excellent as Duncan, his gangly frame and sullen facial expressions convey great pathos and make the smiles all the more welcome.  The real fun comes from Sam Rockwell, who is pure charisma, and his minions, including a restrained turn from Bridesmaids’ Maya Rudolph.
To say I enjoyed this film would be unfair, I’m still in a good mood the next morning.  I did love it, even Rob Corddry’s annoying face wasn’t enough to put me off.  I don’t think it would be too much of a stretch to say this is my film of the year so far, and something else is going to have to be exquisite to beat it.  10/10

See the TRAILER here...  http://youtu.be/OwNo1i3jkCo

No comments:

Post a Comment