Monday 14 June 2010

Promises Promises

It has become a ritual between my girlfriend Caroline and I that when we come to New York, or even London for that matter, we go see a show on Broadway (or West End). My reluctance is firmly on record and so we tend to go see something that I can cope with. Everytime we go with a list of things I actually want to see, which is usually short, very short. We also then have a list of things I don't mind, usually classics like Grease or Mary Poppins. Then there is the 3rd list, which is the definite no list. This features things like Hairspray. This years yes list was topped by Promises Promises. It was a yes primarily because of Kristin Chenowith. She first came to my attention as Olive Snook in Pushing Daisies where she was so cute and adorable! When I realised that the play was based on Billy Wilder's 'The Apartment' I was delighted. A classic comedy, performed by one of the most respected musical theatre performers around? Even I could cope with that. Sean Hayes (Jack from Will & Grace) was actually playing the lead role, Chuck Baxter. Hayes is a performer who I have seen very little of outside of W&G and a one episode appearance in Scrubs. He was excellent as the put upon Baxter, giving up his apartment in hopes of a promotion. Chenowith didn't have too much acting to do in the role, but she had a couple of big song and dance numbers, which she pulled off with some aplomb. Best of all though was Katie Finnernan, bursting through into the 2nd half like a whirlwind of scene stealing mayhem. The show was fun and diverting but for me the only thing to come out of it would be that Sean Hayes is actually a very talented actor with great physical timing, that Katie Finnernan should be a massive star, and that Kristin Chenowith is still adorable. Also, the seats in the theatre were tiny and I spent most of the evening with my legs all pretzel like.
In short, the show was very enjoyable but felt very dated, even though clearly still set in the 60's. Definitaly worth a watch but I certainly wouldn't pay the full $240 they were charging for seats. I give it a solid B.

No comments:

Post a Comment