Tuesday 25 August 2009

Slowly writing...

Some of you reading this will have suffered from the same thing. I don’t like using the term ‘Writer’s Block’. Mostly because I’m not blocked, I’m just a bit lazy. I sit down every so often to write, only to find a thousand other things to do instead. Many people cleverer than me have told their versions of procrastinating, checking emails, updating your facebook status, tidying your desk, deleting stuff from the hard drive, all that stuff.
I’m not suffering from any kind of brain freeze, it is just that some of the things I want to write about don’t work quite so well on paper as they do out loud. I started a post for this blog telling an old story, but about ¾ of the way through it I realised it just doesn’t have the same impact on paper. So I stopped.
I have a couple of great ideas circulating, but that is all they are doing at the moment. I’m struggling to motivate myself. I’m even struggling with my novel, which I have never struggled with. I went back to re-edit it, and I realised there is quite a lot I don’t like. Which sucks.
So next up on my writing slate are, in no particular order:

Nunja’s
Untitled Queen’s Fantasy Script
Captain Hellbeard’s World Of Wonder
More blogging
Untitled family drama in the ‘hood/ghetto
A Certain Little Smile (my novel)

So, if anyone feels the urge to help, or prod me in the right direction, pick a project and feel free.
In the meantime, I’ll go back to watching the Wire, which is my procrastination of choice at the moment. Expect some influence to show, certainly in my slowly formulating family drama. It may feature an Omar or a Bubbles, but either way it will be dark and gritty! Go me…

Until next time….

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about something not having the same impact once you have "Locked it" on paper. For me, my newest blog post 'Festival' doesn't say what I have in my head the way i want to say it... but... it's better out there in some form, than not out there in any form? right?
    I tend to find it difficult to move forward with a writing project due to the fact it's easier to redraft what I've already written.. trying to 'perfect' it (an impossible task) so I don't seem to ever move forward. yeah, the biggest problem with writing, is writing it. whatever 'it' is. If you find a solution.. let me know!

    ReplyDelete